Monday, March 5, 2012

Kale in my oven, not in my Soup!

I know what you are thinking, "Ai, Jesus! O Caldinho Verde!"

-BUT- The Portuguese have it RIGHT.  Kale is a super healthy dark green!  If you don't have your Avo close by or are not craving a hot soup, I have one of the BEST SNACKS EVER if you are taking your health kick srsly.  Another secret to being healthy and watching your weight is cooking at home, so that is why I am imparting this Kale Chips Recipe to my friends, family, and followers!



Kale Chips


It’s SO simple — just tear up a head of kale, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt, chili powder, and pepper. Pop it in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 and voilà — you have crispy, crunchy perfection!
 
If you are doubting this receipe, JUST TRY IT and you will UNDERSTAND.  It's hard to not snack on salty chips at night so this should be your go to if you are on Kanye's Workout Plan. 
 
 
 
-AND- Eating healthy is actually trickier than you think, thanks to highly UNregulated food industry.  We are more convinced by marketing than fact. Our country’s agricultural system acutally produces twice what most people require, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Economic Research Service. This encourages creative marketing to unload the excess, much of it with minimal nutritional value. Words such as “low fat,” “high fiber,” “multigrain” and “natural” used to excite me, but now they are red flags to look closer.  They convince many that what they’re buying is healthy.
 
Since I am talking about Kale Chips, I will say that I was definately a fan of non-fried chips and crackers.  Labeled as "baked" doesn't mean it isn't full of refined grain or starch with lots of calories and no nutritional benefits. Sadly, POPchips fall into this category. ::faint:: They are marketed like a healthy air popped chip, but are nothing more than refined potato flakes and Pita Chips are also not any healthier.  I wouldn't care about telling you guys to NOT EAT CHIPS, which even though I write this post I will still eat my Pita Chips, but this is just an FYI that research shows that too much refined grains and starches increases the risk for heart disease, cancers, diabetes and weight gain.

Kale Chips, YEAH! God help everyone who has to deal with me and my health lectures hahahah!

-Kristine


Follow me Around Boston!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great recipe! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete